After a few weeks break from pond creature photography, I got stuck right back in at the end of last month. I decided to do a bit of pond dipping to try and get some common species and improve my shots when, to my surprise, I pulled out an adult smooth newt!
The next day I tried some shots of a lesser water boatmen, a creature commonly found, but which I have not often photographed due to their tendency to take off out the water and flying around, resulting in a chase around the room/shed to re catch it! So I usually avoid bringing them inside. These were thankfully was more cooperative.
I used the technique of putting a few in the aquarium at once, to give a greater chance of having one pose in the limited time I had. This one obliged, showing it’s underside and the bubble of air found there.
This has showed me that pond creature stacks are quite possible, and this month I have been trying plenty with some good results, which I shall post about soon!